Early Childhood Development Project
ECDP (Plantation Component)
The PHDT is a Tripartite Organization consisting of the Government of Sri Lanka (GOSL), Regional Plantation Companies (RPCs) and Plantation Trade Unions (TU) formed by the GOSL. PHDT will be responsible for improving the ECD facilities and skills of the Child Development Officers in the Plantations under the ECD project.
PHDT will undertake the following activities under the supervision of the MoHCNVICD based on the work program agreed with the MWCA;
- Upgrade old, poor quality ECD centers in unserved/underserved areas of the plantation sector.
- Refurbish existing ECD centers/ Child Development Center (CDC).
- Conduct parent/teacher awareness programs and teacher training programs.
- Regularly visit the supported ECD centers/CDC supervise progress, monitor their activities and provide feedback and enter monitoring data in the sector MIS.
- Annually collect basic data on all ECD centers in the division and enter them in the ECD sector MIS;
- Maintain regular communication with the PMU and MoHCNVICD. provide them with regular updates and submit reports; and
- Facilitate Child Development Officers (CDOs) in conducting child development assessment.
Budget (Plantation Component): US$ 10 Million (LKR 1,700 Mn)
ECD Project Objectives
Enhancing equitable access and improving the quality of ECD Services.
- Centres achieving minimum standards in quality & facilities.
- Improving the capacity of Child Development officers to a nationally accepted standard.
- Attract Children from 0-5 years in Estates benefited to attend CDCs developed.
- Providing an opportunity for children to learn, develop & obtain the foundation for formal education in the future.
- Children enrolled in ECD centres-Increase attendance
- ECD centres meeting national quality standards in Plantations
- Number of project beneficiaries (children (0-5 years), parents, CDOs and teacher assistants
- ECD centres receiving facility
- ECD centres receiving teaching-learning material packages
- Persons completing ECD Diploma Training
- CDOs and assistants CDOs completing short-term training(Refresher Training)
- Development of ECD resource centres in Provinces
ECD Project Launching Ceremony – 01st March 2016
Summary of the Hardware Activities
|No of units planned||Achieved||No of units planned||Achieved||No of units planned||Achieved|
|1||New CDCs||20||20||36*||17 work in Progress||28||Not awarded|
|3||New Play Areas||35||35||35||35||35||7|
|4||Renovation Play Areas||42||42||42||42||41||12|
Photos of the New Child Development Centres
Summary of the Software Activities
|CDO Diploma||200||197||200||219||06 Pro-
|4 Programs completed|
|Refresher Training||0||0||718||carry forwarded to 2018||712||97
Diploma Awarding Ceremony
The diploma award ceremony held at BMICH on 28th July 2018.
CDOs Diploma Training Programme
Refresher Training Programme
Parental Awareness Programme